Tuesday, June 1, 2010

i ride for tommy.

At the beginning of last year whilst I was laying in a hospital bed in Colorado I called my sister, Ellise, to tell her that I had hurt my kidney and to get her to let Mum and Dad know that I had done myself a mischief. I called again 20 minutes later to let her know I needed to go to the ICU in Denver and I would let her know when I got there. In the 20 minutes between phone calls Ellise had been informed that one of our freinds that she was very close to, Tom Mathias, had passed away. Suddenly being in hospital was the least of my worries, it was devestating...

Tommy was a national level alpine skier and a tremendous athlete who I have only few but very fond memories of. It was on the 6th of January 2009 that Tommy sadly died from malignant melenoma.

A not for profit organisation called 'i ski for tommy' has been initiated and directed by friends of Tommy to raise awareness of malanoma and raise funds for the Victorian Melenoma Service (VMS) by encompassing Tommy's love of winter sports.

The 'isft' website iskifortommy.com will be up and running soon, selling merchandise to raise funds exclusively for the VMS.

Until then you can get more information and show your support by 'like'ing the page on facebook @ facebook.com/iskifortommy and you can also follow i ski for tommy on twitter @ twitter.com/iskifortommy



Thanks for reading. Opening weekend is less than 2 weeks away so check back soon for some snow related posts.
JKW