Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Done and Dusted

Hi all. Just got back from the Nationals at Copper. I am pretty happy with how I went. I think I ended up around 5th or 6th (will let you know when results get posted).

So we rolled out of snowy Breckenridge at about 7 this morning only to find that training had be postponed by an hour and a half. So we just kicked it in the main lodge until 9:30. Once training started I dropped into to a stock run [Cab 7, Front 5, Back 5], feeling pretty good at this stage I dropped into my second training run and landed my comp run [Cab 7, Front, 9, Back 9, Front 5], not perfect but good enough to be comfortable.

There was around 32 competitors and only one heat so we got through our qualifictions pretty quick. I dropped around 3/4 of the way thru the field. My first run I landed a bit flat on my Frontside 9 so I only had enough speed for a 5. But scored a 72 which placed me in the top 10. Good Enough for finals. My second run, I was feeling much more comfortable and went into my Comp run all at a good size and clean. I scored an 87 which qualified me 3rd for finals.

Finals was pretty cool. We had a quick 25 minute practice, with sled's towing us up the hill which was pretty fun. I don't think I landed a full run during practice and was feeling a bit run down so I called training early and just worked on getting pumped up. My first run, I landed but it wasn't real big and I landed flat on every single hit, but I did land, and that gave me the boost of energy I needed for my second run. My second run was much better, landing everythng clean and of decent height. This run put me in 5th. After my second run I had a chat to Benny A about changing my run because I couldn't improve my score much more and it was getting a little monotonous doing the same run. So I decided to switch my last hit [Front 5] to a straight air, and not take my line down the pipe as far so I could get a 5th hit in and try a Backside 1080 [which I've landed 2 of.. ever]. The top part of my run was pretty standard - maybe not as good as my second run. When I got to my straight air I kind of sketched and didnt grab or go super big, but I was determined to get this hit in. I tucked and threw it as hard as I could. I over rotated and landed a little bit flat which made me sit down on the 10 - but I am definately glad I tried that run and I am super happy with the way my season ended up.



My second qualification and second finals run

I did about 62 days this season. It's pretty cool because when they scan your pass they can tell you how many days you've done - I did around...

41 days at the Vail resorts [Breck, Vail and Beaver Creek, but mostly Breck]

16 at Copper

and 3 days at Boreal.


Tommorow I am heading to California, which will be good to have a break for a few days before getting home and getting back to work.

Hopefully I see some cool stuff in my travels that I can share with you - so check back soon!

Jarryd.